Tuesday, November 6, 2012

New Foster: Buddy

Well, the reason I am not getting Sadie Lou is back is because I'm getting a new Boston!!  That's the good part...another dog is being saved.  The bad part....where Buddy came from.

I want you all to take this journey with me.  I want to document what it takes to foster a Puppy Mill dog.  Yes, you heard right....Buddy comes out of a Puppy Mill.

The few things I know about Buddy are that he is only a year old, 22 pounds and not house trained.

One of our Southern Cross Boston Terrier Rescue members, Bill, went to the shelter and picked him up along with a 4 year old Boston from the same Puppy Mill.  Here's a little of his e-mail yesterday with some information on the boys:

Both being neutered in the morning. Getting bathed and all their shots today. Sammy is 20 Pounds and Buddy is 22 pounds. I will send more pictures ASAP. Both need to be housebroken and learn to walk on a leash. Buddy is a year old and a little timid but no problem. Sammy is 4 years old and is not happy on the leash. They road in the car without making a sound. They REALLY SMELLED BAD!!! 
 They came from terrible conditions and are none the worse for it. Outside in open pens with no cover very little food or water. They get along with each other which is amazing for 2 male breeder dogs and have no problem with people. Of course they will both need more socializing. 
One more thing the lady said the dogs have put on 5-6 pounds in the last few weeks. Can you imagine what they looked like. They were covered with fleas and ticks, had worms and tape worms. Stool was black. How these 2 never got HW is beyond me.
Just reading that makes me furious that someone would treat dogs like this.  They deserve so much more life than being contained to a crate and only having interaction with other dogs just to mate.

Yes, it's going to be a major challenge with Buddy, but knowing my house is where he will learn to be a happy little guy makes me beyond happy.  I've read several articles about Puppy Mill dogs and I'm just in shock at how much these dogs have to learn how to trust people.  I'm just very very thankful that Buddy is only a year old and hopefully will be quick to trust and learn.

Here are the few pictures I have of Buddy:





Keep coming back here to find daily updates on Buddy!  Also, if you fall in love with him, please go to the Southern Cross Boston Terrier Rescue's website and fill out an application.  If you're on Instagram, I will be posting pictures under #southerncrossbtr.  Hopefully we can all start to post pictures and you can see more of our beautiful fosters!

6 comments:

  1. He is handsome! I hope everything works out while he's in your care and that he finds a forever home quickly. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't he handsome?! He's already got several homes waiting. I just have to get him ready to go!! Ya'll should come over and meet him sometime. He needs to learn that people are good and needs to be around a lot of people!!

      Delete
  2. awww....He's so cute Michelle. You are one amazing person to foster these babies. They are so lucky to have someone like you. Bless You!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't he precious?! Thank you. This has been so rewarding. God always seems to put a perfect family in my path for these little dogs or I would be tempted to keep all of them!

      Delete
  3. Sammy has found his place in the pack and now loves treats and gives kisses. We are soooo lucky you joined SCBTR to help save these babies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!! I'm so glad Sammy is doing so well too! They are finally seeing what life and freedom is all about! I'm so glad to be apart of SCBTR. This has been so rewarding and I've learned so much. I'm so thankful for you and everyone else that has helped me through all of this.

      Delete