Sunday, January 10, 2016

Catfish Cabin - Jackson, TN


Driving through Jackson, TN is something that happens often these day.  But stopping to eat rarely happens.  Thankfully, I found this place and it was such a pleasant surprise!

It's not right off the interstate, but it's worth the drive.  And take time to drive right through the older part of town.  It adds to the charm even more!



As we pulled into the parking lot, we noticed it was a cute log cabin with rocking chairs on the front porch.  Typical of a good southern restaurant that begs for you come eat and sit a while.


The inside was nothing special.  This was just one of the few big rooms they had.  Very open with plenty of tables.  I did find the tin they had on the walls and over the windows very cute.  Little things that added charm to an otherwise plan room.

I should add that we were there right after the Sunday crowd.  That's why the place was so empty.  There were plenty of people leaving as we arrived.


The waitress took our order.  My mom picked the Channel Catfish Fillets (Lite Order) and I went with Danny's Blackened Catfish Fillet.


As the waitress took our order, she asked if we would like mayonnaise or vinegar cold slaw.  Being from the south, we're big fans of mayonnaise!  So we both opted for that.  As we were waiting for our meal, they went ahead and brought a basket of hush-puppies and each of us a small bowl of cold slaw.

The hush-puppies were some of the best!  They had corn in them.  And the slaw was great too.  I'm usually not a fan of slaw, but I ate a good amount of it!

Oh, did I tell you, the cold slaw and hush-puppies are unlimited!!  Yes, you read that right.  Unlimited!


Before I snapped the picture, my mom and I had already started to try hers!  Oh my goodness.  Some of the best catfish.  Even though it was fried, it has a nice fluffy taste.  Some of the best fried catfish I've ever tried.

We both went with white beans as our side.  They were a little soupy for my tastes, but they still tasted wonderful! 


Since I'm not a fan of fried, blackened was my choice.  OH MY GOODNESS!  The taste was beyond perfect.  There was no need for tarter sauce.  Not very spicy, but just enough kick.  

Let's review the basics.

Type of Restaurant
Casual, sit down.

Type of Food
Catfish.  However, there's something for everyone on the menu.  Fish to burgers.  It's all there.

Value for the Money
Let's face it, it's fish.  You always plan to spend more for fish.  And I thought it was priced just right.  Since the fish was so good and all the fixins' as well, I had no issue paying $10 - $13!

Cleanliness
When we were seated, I found a used napkin under the table.  That, however, was the only thing I found unclean about the restaurant.  Restroom were clean as well.

Friendliness of Staff
Every person we encountered was extremely nice.  They all had a typical sweet southern spirit.  Our waitress was quick to tell us her favorite dishes on the menu and made our choice even easier.

Would I Recommend This Restaurant?
Yes!

Address:
1290 S Highland Ave
Jackson, TN 38301



No comments:

Post a Comment